The Congregation of The Lovers of The Holy Cross Thu Thiem
Villa Terenzio,33 Kent Rd, Marangaroo WA 6064, Australia
(08) 9247 0831
Ho Chi Minh City - Viet Nam
The Lovers of the Holy Cross was founded when Missionaries placed their first steps to evangelize and establish the Church in Vietnam. In 1670, Bishop Pierre Lambert de la Motte, Vicar Apostolic of Southern Vietnam, founded the first Congregation in Kien Lao. Soon afterward, Congregations of Lovers of the Holy Cross were established throughout Vietnam by the local Vicars Apostolic or Bishops.
As persecutions arose throughout southern regions of Vietnam under the Reign of Minh-Mang (1820-1841), convents were levelled and the sisters were spread all over. Some Sisters fled to Ben-Thanh in Sai Gon for their safety. Realizing that it was impossible for them to come back to their communities, the Sisters moved to Thu Thiem, a wild jungle, to start a new community and continue to evangelize to the natives in this area.
In 1840, with the approval of Bishop Etienne Theodore Cuenot, the Congregation of Lovers of the Holy Cross of Thu Thiem (LHCTT) was established, regulated by the Constitution of Bishop Pierre Lambert de la Motte.
In 1867, under the jurisdiction of Bishop Jean-Claude Miche, LHCTT received their first habits. Then the Profession of Vows began in 1872. To meet the increase of the need of churches around this area, in 1873, community mission houses were opened. Besides doing apostolic works, the Sisters were sent to school for higher education. Over the years, in God's Love and Providence, the Congregation has been improved both spiritually and physically.
March 25, 2015 the Sisters celebrated their anniversary of 175th year of foundation (1840-2015). At the present time, there are 346 professed sisters, 110 junior sisters, 34 novices, 53 pre-novices, and 58 postulants. Besides the motherhouse in Sai Gon, there are 66 mission houses doing apostolic works in 9 dioceses in Vietnam and 4 dioceses abroad (America, Austria and Australia).