SCC to develop an innovative aged care community in Ballajura
SCC Planning Committee, seen in the photo, are set to develop an aged care community in Ballajura that will link key community elements on both the north and south of Paradise Quays, combining the very best in contemporary aged care and lifestyle features. Photo: Supplied.
Southern Cross Care WA, one of Western Australia’s leading aged care groups, has announced it will develop an innovative aged care community in Ballajura, the first of many the organisation will be developing throughout Perth.
In contrast to the current offerings in the aged care and accommodation sector, SCC’s integrated hub offering provides a well-planned community environment comprising a broad range of contemporary accommodation options, alongside the necessary amenities to support the complex health and lifestyle needs of older Western Australians.
Located on a 4.4 hectare site in Ballajura, the new community will link key community elements on both the north and south of Paradise Quays and will combine the very best in contemporary aged care and lifestyle options including:
- A mix of affordable and accessible accommodation for seniors, all incorporating the latest thinking in universal design to “age in place”.
- The housing choices will include independent living apartments and town homes, with residents able to access a broad range of in-home health and wellness services offered by Southern Plus, if or when they need them in the future.
- Contemporary residential aged care offering, including age in place serviced apartments, specialist dementia residential care and residential respite care.
- A piazza that will provide a central meeting place, as well as easy access to local shops and amenities.
- A health and wellness precinct, providing medical, rehabilitation and reablement services. Centrally located, it will offer access to geriatricians, GPs and allied health professionals including physiotherapists, exercise physiologists and podiatrists.
- Shared community amenities including rooftop gardens, communal dining areas and recreational outdoor spaces.
SCC Chairman Brad Prentice said the decision to develop the Paradise Quays precinct was in response to the high demand for contemporary age in place accommodation, independent living and residential care options for older residents in the Ballajura community.
“The City of Swan has acknowledged that it faces a shortage of aged care facilities and services in the future, so the proposed precinct design has been developed in response to the city’s needs, delivering up to 245 dwellings for both aged care and independent living,” Mr Prentice said.
“As one of Western Australia’s leading aged care and accommodation providers, we are committed to providing a range of innovative and contemporary solutions for our ageing population that meets each person’s individual health, wellness and lifestyle needs.
“Being uniquely positioned within a larger community hub in Ballajura, we believe Paradise Quays will provide numerous benefits for residents,” he added.
“These benefits include having a broad range of lifestyle and housing options to choose from, being able to access the care and support they may need as they age while also being able to enjoy the amenities and facilities that are located close by.”
He added that with an enviable location that provides residents with an abundance of outdoor spaces to enjoy including natural bushland, in addition to the amenities expected in a modern community, we are confident Paradise Quays will become a lively urban neighbourhood of like-minded residents, retirees and their families.
“We thank the City of Swan for the opportunity to embark on this exciting project and look forward to delivering a new community that will provide a broad range of lifestyle benefits to the wider Ballajura community,” Mr Prentice concluded.
Subject to approvals, the first stage of the development is expected to commence in mid-2019.
For more information about Southern Cross Care, call 1300 669 189.